Harnessing the power of open, global standards to address the challenges of healthcare and benefit patients worldwide
The paramount task in healthcare is to ensure patient safety. Key to this is the ability to improve the efficiency of all activities in the healthcare supply chain and make sure the right patient gets the right medicine at the right time, in the right dose and in the right place. Within the ever-evolving sphere of the Healthcare industry with its dynamics, innovations, technology, research etc., patient care continues to be at the centre of all these activities. To this effect, ideas to improve the efficiency the industry and patient care cannot be overemphasized.
Stakeholders in the healthcare industry want the assurance that they are getting access to safe and genuine medicines and medical devices as well as trusted information about these products. Manufacturers and suppliers want efficiency in supply chain processes while regulators wish to protect the supply chain from the influx of substandard and falsified medicines, medical devices and hospital consumables while ensuring industry compliance.
Objectives of other stakeholders may be access to information about where medicines are to achieve patient access while achieving the objectives of healthcare programs.
GS1 Standards optimize supply chain efficiency and interoperability in healthcare while also providing a platform for traceability to ensure patient safety and access to the right medicines. Our standards support pharmacovigilance activities.
Our vision in healthcare
Some of the benefits of adopting GS1 standards in healthcare are:
- Real-Time Supply Chain Visibility.
- Enhancing business processes (e.g inventory management, optimized supply chain efficiency, eProcurement) and lowering costs
- Discouragement of influx of falsified and counterfeit products.
- Discouragement of Diversion of products from the legitimate supply chain.
- Facilitating effective product recalls.
- Tracking pharmaceutical products/medical devices.
- Real time data for Market analytics.
- Brand Protection.
- Simplified Procurement Process.
- Reducing medication errors.
- Linking critical product data to patient records.
- Supporting regulatory compliance.
- Optimizing order, invoice, sales reporting, and chargeback/rebate processes.
- Cost Savings, time savings and better Return On Investment.
GS1 Nigeria works with both the public and private sectors to achieve the objectives above and drive the vision of GS1 healthcare.
GS1 Healthcare Reference Book
For 10+ years, GS1 Healthcare Global Reference Books have showcased GS1 Healthcare’s many success stories and best practices’ from around the world. Examples of GS1 standards implementation across hospitals, retail pharmacies and the healthcare industry are plentiful. Stay informed about the transformative impact of GS1 in healthcare by exploring our latest case studies and by unlocking key insights and knowledge.
GS1 standards implementation stories in healthcare
PUBLIC SECTOR PILOT REPORT ON COVID -19 VACCINES: the deployment of GS1 standards in action
Fresenius Kabi is a global leader in the manufacture of generic sterile injectable medicines along with medical technologies for transfusion, infusion, and nutrition.